Monday, April 14, 2008

Fleeing LTTE cadres complain of heightened Tiger atrocities

The incidents of child recruitment and forcible conscription are on the rise in the Wanni and is getting worse with each passing day, a Sea Tiger escapee told the Daily News.

Following an appeal by Security Forces to LTTE cadres to surrender with the promise of transforming their lives, around 54 Tiger cadres including Sea Tiger cadres and sympathisers had given themselves up at the Rehabilitation Centre in Jaffna during the last three months.

The Rehabilitation Centre was established in 1995 for LTTE surrendees but this was disrupted due to the continuing conflict in the Northern front. The Security Forces once again reactivated the Centre in February and placed in direct charge under the Presidential Secretariat.

“Since the Security Forces announcement to the LTTE cadres to give up terrorism and surrender themselves, around 54 Tiger cadres had given themselves up at the centre from February to March. They were between 17 and 50 years,” Co-ordinating Officer Colonel J.J. Mohotti said.

The LTTE surrendees will be rehabilitated at the centre by providing vocational training which will prepare them even for foreign employment.

“We are providing vocational training to the LTTE surrendees such as sewing, wiring and motor mechanics. The duration of the training will range from six months to one year depending on the training category. Those who wish to seek foreign employment will be given an opportunity to find jobs abroad. We have already sent one such LTTE surrendee for overseas employment,” the Colonel added.

Colonel Mohotti said parents and guardians of the LTTE surrendees were allowed to visit them on Sundays and Wednesdays. The centre is operated with the assistance of the ICRC, UNICEF, local government agencies and other sources.

“We are confident that the LTTE surrendees will be reformed. We are aware of their real reasons for surrendering. Therefore, we hope they will be good citizens,” he said.

The LTTE which is fast losing control in the Wanni is disrupting civilian life. “Child recruitment, proscription and intimidation are high,” Colonel Mohotti added.

K. Robinson, 27, was recruited to the LTTE Sea Tiger Wing at the age of 14 in 1995.

“I have received training in the Mullaitivu seas and taken part in four sea attacks against the Navy. I was among those deployed for sea attacks in Kalpitiya, Pulmodai, Nayaru and Pesalai seas. I lost part of my right leg in 1998. I was also a member of the Black Tiger reinforcements in an attack targeting a Navy ship in Mamunai,” he said.

During the ceasefire agreement, Robinson left the outfit and moved to Jaffna to start a new life.

“I got married and began a new life in Jaffna, but the LTTE never let me settle down. They were looking for me and threatened my family members and compelled me to rejoin the outfit. I was assisting the LTTE to carry out claymore attacks against the Security Forces in Jaffna,” Robinson said.

He asserted that he is safe with the Security Forces and was positive of turning a new leaf in life. “I have surrendered to the Security Forces denouncing terrorism and look forward to the future with a new ray of hope. I am awaiting foreign employment,” he said.

He said the LTTE has lost the sympathy of the Tamils.

“They don’t fight for the Tamils. People in the Wanni front are made to suffer and they forcefully recruit children to the outfit. Every family is forced to sacrifice one member to the battle field”, he added.

K. Thevarasan, 37, a father of three joined the LTTE in 1987 and surrendered to the Security Forces on February 2008.

“I was recruited to the LTTE when I was 17 years and left the outfit when the Indian Army was in Sri Lanka after three years of combat,” he said.

“In order to start a new life, I continued my studies and became a Manager at the Palmyra Corporation in Chavakachcheri. I also got married and have three children. While I was continuing my normal life, I started receiving threats from the LTTE and their intelligence was looking for me.

Initially, I surrendered to the Human Rights Commission in Jaffna last year and I was later produced before the Jaffna Magistrate and remanded.

Following the Security Forces announcement of an amnesty, I surrendered at the centre and feel safe. I am positive of a bright future for myself and my family”, Thevarasan added.

(DailyNews)

No comments: