Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Udathalawinna massacre - I had to carry out investigations under SP Udugampola by Priyalal Sirisena

Inspector R. A. P. Dharmaratne of the Kegalle police, a witness in Udathalawinna massacre case on Monday told the court that the whole investigation was under supervision of SP Udugampola and that he had to carry out the investigation under Udugampola’s orders.

The witness was a member of police special investigation unit employed in Udathalawinna incident.

Defence counsel Anil Silva yesterday cross examined the witness on the recording of statements by army officers and on the seizing of weapons.

"According to the police notebook, we arrived at Boyagane Army camp at 8.00 p.m. on December 20, 2001. The whole investigation was under supervision of SP Udugampola. On 20th Udugampola ordered me at Boyagane to meet Colonel Samaratunga. Then I met him. Udugampola was also there at the time.

We informed Samaratunga that we needed to take a statement from him and to collect some weapons needed for the investigation," he said.

Counsel - Did he refuse to give a statement?

Witness - I’m not quite sure. He agreed to give a statement after a while. He ordered one officer Sisira Herath to help the investigation of Udugampola.

Counsel - Do you know that Udugampola stopped taking the statement and left the place?

Witness - I know that he left.

Counsel - Were you there when he returned?

Witness - Yes. But I cannot remember the time.

Counsel - Did you write another statement before Udugampola’s return?

Witness -Yes.

Counsel - Of whom?

Witness - That was of Sisira Herath.

Counsel - You said that you were told only to take over the weapons?

Witness - Yes. But once we arrived at the camp I was told to record a statement of Herath.

Counsel - When Udugampola went to take over the weapons they had been taken over already. Right?

Witness - Yes.

"The weapons were taken to a conference hall which was quite away. They were sealed there. After taking over the weapons, Udugampola told me to seal them.

Counsel - Were you ordered to do anything else?

Witness - I cannot remember.

"I was doing a serious work. I would not do anything without the order of Udugampola. It was after a discussion with Samaratunga that I was ordered to take down a statement of Sisira Herath. I don’t know whether the weapons were shown to Samaratunge" the witness said.